Wednesday, September 8, 2010

With Christians like these...who needs enemies

So, for those living under self imposed media blackout (you're killing me, you know) or under a rock, here's a link.

Stupid Bigoted Church Burning Qur'an

No judgment in my link title eh? Well if you can't tell, I'm against this. VEHEMENTLY. I don't even know where to begin on the offensiveness this church is displaying. They think they're going to send a shot back to radical morons who happen to practice Islam and tell them that the rest of the world has had enough. I get it, I've had enough of radical fundamentalist morons, especially those who co-opt faiths to spread their messages of hatred and violence and anything that destroys peace between different religions...Hold the phone, that's exactly that this church is doing!! Yep, I've had enough, and I'm just about ready to go there and hold a counter-protest burning a bunch of Bibles just to show them what's what. Seriously, I've considered it, which is a big thing considering I'm Christian.

I don't know if that makes me a good Christian or bad, but I do know that I am a Christian who has had it up to here with all these fundamentalists from Sarah Palin to these Qu'ran burning folks. I'm tired of having to explain that I'm not one of THOSE Christians. I'm tired of seeing people judging me for picking and choosing from the Bible, yes bad me, I pick and choose those awful awful messages about loving thy neighbour, taking the plank out of my eye, forgiveness, while they stay true to Leviticus, eating pork and condemning gays and lesbians, ooops! Wait.

What is the freaking point of being religious if it's going to make you so filled with hate and judgment? How can these people burn a seriously important book to millions of people who've done dick all to them. Which is why I would not burn the Bible, since it would probably hurt far more than my intended target. How can you be so blind, so uncompassionate, how can you justify that in the name of Christ? Someone who came to teach us these important lessons of compassion, love, forgiveness, turning the other cheek, acceptance. Are we reading the same Bible? I mean, the lessons are pretty clear to me, its how I try to live my life, and guess what? That life includes Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Pagans, Christians who have way different views than me, but it does not include hurting others, acts of bigotry and just plain ole meanness.

The acts of this church is going to potentially incite violence, it's going to piss off a lot of radical morons, it's going to inflate the egos of another bunch of radical morons, but bottom line, it's going to hurt a lot of people. If this "church" believes for a second that it's only going to be hurting Muslims, it's got another thing coming. I will hurt, I know many of my fellow Christians will hurt. I can't speak for the big guy in the sky or Jesus, but from my readings and my faith, I feel, you might as well be taking his lessons of love and throwing them back in his face, and that, has got to hurt! What's the point of using a message of love and peace to hurt others?

Thankfully for this church, Jesus is a master at forgiveness, I wish I were as good, it will be my spiritual cross to bear for the time being and I will have to re-read a hell of a lot of Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu to refocus on that. But in the meantime, I will focus on letting everyone within earshot know, that I, Joy Carder, representing my family and the Republic of Carderville, as a Christian, am outraged.

No comments: